Washington County Sheriff - Employment
This job description gives you some insight into the many duties and responsibilities of a Correctionss Officer with the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.
We are currently hiring for this position.
Under the general direction of the Corrections Administrator, Lieutenant, and Shift Sergeant, performs work involving the care and custody of inmates in County detention facilities, and other duties as required.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all‑inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Supervises and cares for inmates in County detention facilities within established policies and procedures.
- Maintains discipline and enforces the rules and regulations pertaining to the facility, and may employ force to quell disturbances and maintain discipline.
- Receives and books inmates; and assigns and escorts inmates to cells, dormitories, or similar areas.
- Issues uniforms, bedding and other supplies, and assists in the operation of the food service facilities.
- Inspects and searches inmates and their quarters for cleanliness, contra-band, and order.
- Assigns, supervises and inspects the work of trustees engaged in maintaining the cleanliness of the facilities or assigned in laundry and kitchen areas.
- Performs evacuation procedures, including search and rescue functions, wearing a self-contained breathing apparatus as required.
- Performs general housekeeping and maintenance duties in the facility as needed, and inspects areas for damage.
- Completes violation reports of Jail rules along with documentation of inmate activities on computer.
- Provides a positive rehabilitative influence to inmates within guidelines established by the Department.
- Observes inmate behavior and documents any information relevant to the inmate’s confinement in the computer jackets.
- Prepares and presents written and oral reports and records as required.
- May administer basic first-aid and CPR, as needed.
To view open positions within the Washington County Sheriff’s Office and throughout the County, please view all possible positions at the Washington County Human Resource Department Website Page