Washington County Sheriff - FAQ's - Legal Questions

Landlord questions, identity theft, scams, child custody or visitation issues are all addressed here. Sometimes this means contacting another agency who handles your particular issue.

F.A.Q. - Legal Questions and Answers


Q. I am having a conflict with a landlord/tenant. What are my rights?
A. There are rules that landlords and tenants need to follow. Many complaints between landlords and tenants cannot be resolved by a Deputy. A good source of information on landlord and tenant rights is the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. They can be called at 608-224-5012 or visit their website at and follow the links to Consumer Protection.
Q. Where can I get information on identity theft?
A. The Sheriff’s Office has a comprehensive packet on what to do if you think you are the victim of identity theft. It also offers suggestions on how to prevent identity theft. Identity Theft Packet.
Q. How can I learn more about scams?
A. Scams on the internet, through the mail and on the phone are not uncommon.  Generally, if a deal sounds too good to be true, it more than likely is a scam. There is often little that can be done about these scams because many of them originate from overseas or cannot be easily traced. The U.S. Department of Commerce is a good resource to learn about the many scams currently circulating around the country. The best way to avoid being scammed is to be educated on what these scams are and how they work: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/consumer.shtm
Q. I am having a child custody or visitation issue. Will a Deputy
     enforce my custody agreement?
A. Most child custody or visitation issues occur when one party fails to obey either a court order or an agreement about when each party should have custody of the child. Most court orders relating to custody and visitation are granted in a civil court proceeding. In general, a Deputy cannot enforce a civil court order because the order does not direct the Sheriff’s Office to intervene if one party violates the order. Violation of the order is a civil matter between the two parties, it is not a criminal matter. Unless there is alleged child abuse or neglect or a threat of imminent harm coming to the child, your recourse will most often be to contact an attorney and take the other party back to court to have the order modified. If you have questions, please contact the Sheriff’s Office and ask to speak to a supervisor.
The State Bar of Wisconsin also has a website that may be able to answer your questions: http://www.wisbar.org.  Follow the links to Media and Consumer Resources. 


Back to Top

Back to FAQ main page