Nationwide Inmate Records Online Check

Jail records, court & arrest records, mugshots and even judicial reports

Washington County WI Jail Roster, WI Sheriff Office Offender Lookup and Inmate Information

Washington County WI Jail Roster, WI Sheriff Office Offender Lookup and Inmate Information

Updated on: September 13, 2022
County Seat:
West Bend
Year Organized:
Total Square Miles:
135101 (2017)
Persons/Square Mile:
Washington County WI Jail Roster, WI Sheriff Office Offender Lookup and Inmate Information County Website

Washington County is located in southeastern Wisconsin, in the United States. The county was established in 1836; on December 7, 1836, the Wisconsin Territory Legislature approved its existence, with Port Washington chosen as the county seat. It was given President George Washington’s name. 

Up until 1840, it was administered by Milwaukee County, but a county self-government act allowed Grafton, which was then known as Hamburg, to become the county seat. Nonetheless, after a few elections, West Bend was named as its county seat in 1853. The county is included in the Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI Metropolitan Statistical Area. 

According to the 2020 census, 136,761 people were living here. The county has a total area of 436 square miles, 431 square miles of land, and 5 square miles of water. According to the total area, it is Wisconsin’s fifth-smallest county. 

Washington County Inmate Search and Jail Roster

All inmates arrested on charges of violating Wisconsin State and Federal laws and Washington County ordinances, unable to pay bail, or awaiting trial in Washington courts are taken to the Washington County Jail. In addition, the Wisconsin Department of Correction utilizes the facility as a re-entry home for state inmates transitioning back into society and probation and parole violators. 

The WCSO is in charge of creating efficient procedures to ensure security, control, and order, to secure the convicts in this jail. Again, WCSO is mandated to establish, maintain, and update information on these inmates under its care by the Wisconsin Laws. 

How does the Washington County Inmate Search work? 

Nationwide Inmate Records Online Check

Jail records, court & arrest records, mugshots and even judicial reports

By performing a Washington County Inmate Search, you may get detailed information on a current or previous inmate in the county. The federal, Wisconsin state and local Washington County prison systems keep public inmate records on all convicts. These records, again, are public records as per Wisconsin FOIA. 

You may locate an offender using the online WCSO Jail roster by name. On the inmate’s name, you can tap on it to acquire all information about them, including their:

  • Mugshot. 
  • Physical descriptions. 
  • Charges. 
  • Dates of incarceration. 
  • Arrest records. 
  • Personal information. 

The information on these pages is subject to change without notice; thus, you can keep on refreshing the page for the most up-to-date information. This is because inmates may be subject to transfer to other detention facilities in the county or state. 

What to do if the inmate is not on the WCSO jail roster? 

If your inmate’s name is not appearing on the jail roster, it means that they are either not in the facility yet or still in the booking and orientation stages. Nonetheless, you can also inquire about their whereabouts by phone at 262-335-4427. Again, you can visit the office in person if you cannot locate them by phone. 

Finally, if you cannot locate them by the ways above, you can visit the WDOC Offender Search database or the Federal Prisoner Lookup tool in case they were transferred there. 


As a crime victim, you can always register with VINELink to receive frequent notifications about your offender. 

How to locate a sex offender 

When you want to perform a sex offender search in Washington County, you can always visit the WDOC Sex Offender registry to search by name or geographical location. You can also contact the local custodian of the registry, the WCSO, by phone to receive the records by mail or collect them in person. 

Washington County Most Wanted

The Washington County Circuit Court System has issued warrants for the arrest of the following persons. Any warrant must be confirmed by law enforcement prior to apprehension. Do not attempt to detain these individuals!

List of Wanted Fugitives

The Washington County Most Wanted Program continues with Deputies assigned to the Justice Center researching and submitting subjects to be profiled by local media outlets.  Of the 32 subjects profiled in 2018, 23 of the subjects were located after their profile was published in the paper and social media.

Deputies have also been assigned to work with Child Support and area law enforcement agencies to locate subjects with warrants for non-payment of their child support.

Nicholas Thomas Meyer

Wanted for: Washington County Sheriff – Sexual Intercourse with a child 16 years or older, Actor 19 years or older
Last Address: Fond du Lac, WI
Age: 41 | Hgt: 6’00” | Wgt: 190
Hair: Blonde | Eyes: Blue
Race: White
Scars/Tattoos: Tattoos: Left Arm, Left Ankle, Right Arm, Upper Right Arm, Back, Left Leg, Pierced Left Ear
Warrant Date: 01/27/2020
Jason Alexander Cross

Wanted for: Washington County Sheriff – Operating While Intoxicated 2nd Offense, Operate with a Prohibited Alcohol Concentration 2nd Offense, Operate while Revoked
Last Address: West Bend, Hartford, WI
Age: 44 | Hgt: 5’05” | Wgt: 145
Hair: Brown | Eyes: Brown
Race: Black
Scars/Tattoos: Scar: Left Leg / Tattoos: Left Arm, Right Arm
Warrant Date: 01/13/2020
Jason Thomas Mueller

Wanted for: Washington County Sheriff – Felony Operating While Intoxicated 5th or 6th Offense, Operating with a Prohibited Alcohol Concentration 5th or 6th Offense
Last Address: Jackson, WI
Age: 42 | Hgt: 5’06” | Wgt: 158
Hair: Brown | Eyes: Blue
Race: White
Aliases: Jason Thomas Malzewski
Scars/Tattoos: Scar: Forearm
Warrant Date: 01/06/2020
Nikki Elizabeth Reimer

Wanted for: Washington County Sheriff – Possession of Narcotic Drugs, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, Possession of a Controlled Substance, Bail Jumping, Theft
Last Address:Germantown, WI
Age: 25 | Hgt: 5’01” | Wgt: 140
Hair: Brown | Eyes: Blue
Race: White
Gender: Female
Scars/Tattoos: Tattoos: Chest
Warrant Date: 12/09/2019
Rickard Jamal Littlefield

Wanted for: Washington County Sheriff – Felony Misappropriate ID to Obtain Money
Last Address: West Bend, Kewaskum, WI
Age: 46 | Hgt: 5’04” | Wgt: 158
Hair: Bald | Eyes: Brown
Race: Black
Gender: Male
Scars/Tattoos: Scars: Neck, Back
Warrant Date: 10/21/2019
Jason Matthew Nieskes

Wanted for: Washington County Sheriff – Violate Harassment Restraining Order; Dept of Community Corrections – Probation Violation
Last Address: West Bend, WI
Age: 43 | Hgt: 6’00” | Wgt: 200
Hair: Brown | Eyes: Blue
Race: White
Gender: Male
Warrant Date: 5/06/2019
Kailey Virginia Gagnon-Palick

Wanted for: Resist/Obstructing an Officer, Bail Jumping x2, Possession of Cocaine, Posess Drug Paraphernalia
Last Address: West Bend, WI
Age: 28 | Hgt: 5’05” | Wgt: 160
Hair: Blonde | Eyes: Brown
Race: White
Gender: Female
Scars/Tattoos: Tattoo: Left Shoulder
Warrant Date: 2/25/2019
Devone Allen Kessler

Wanted for: Washington County and Dept of Corrections Probation Violations
Last Address: West Bend, WI
Age: 24 | Hgt: 6’04” | Wgt: 203
Hair: Black | Eyes: Brown
Race: Black
Gender: Male
Aliases: Devon Kessler, Dovey Kessler
Scars/Tattoos: Tattoos: Left Wrist
Warrant Date: 1/22/2019
Jose Luis Monarrez

Wanted for: Bail Jumping Violate Domestic Abuse Protection Order, Disorderly Conduct, Failure to Appear Firearms Surrender Hearing
Last Address: Hartford, WI
Age: 34 | Hgt: 6’02” | Wgt: 220
Hair: Brown | Eyes: Brown
Race: White
Gender: Male
Scars/Tattoos: Tattoos: Right Arm, Left Leg
Warrant Date: 10/15/2018
Raymundo Ignacio-Hilario

Wanted for: Fleeing an Officer, OWI 2nd Offense, Bail Jumping, Operating While Revoked
Last Address: Kewaskum, WI / Random Lake, WI
Age: 30 | Hgt: 5’06” | Wgt: 153
Hair: Black | Eyes: Brown
Race: White
Gender: Male
Aliases: Raymundo Hilario, Raymundo Ignacio
Scars/Tattoos: None
Warrant Date: 2/26/2018
Steven Donte Elliott

Wanted for: Felony Fleeing an Officer, Failure to Report to Jail
Last Address: West Bend, Saukville WI
Age: 36 | Hgt: 5’06” | Wgt: 155
Hair: Black | Eyes: Brown
Race: Black
Gender: Male
Scars/Tattoos: Tattoos: Right Arm, Right Forearm, Right Hand
Warrant Date: 2/12/2018
Phillip Thomas Hetzel

Wanted for: Resisting/Obstructing an Officer
Last Address: West Bend, WI
Age: 36 | Hgt: 5’10” | Wgt: 234
Hair: Brown | Eyes: Green
Race: White
Gender: Male
Scars/Tattoos: Tattoos: Right Leg, Right Calf
Warrant Date: 2/05/2018
Daniel Robert Kiltinen

Wanted for: Operating while Intoxicated 5th Offense, Operating with a Prohibited Alcohol Concentration 5th Office
Last Address: Germantown, WI
Age: 53 | Hgt: 5’09” | Wgt: 149
Hair: Brown | Eyes: Green
Race: White
Gender: Male
Scars/Tattoos: Scars: Left Knee Tattoos: Right Arm, Left Ankle
Warrant Date: 8/28/2017

Washington County Jail – Adult & Juvenile Detention

The current boundaries of Washington County were established in March of 1853. The first jail in Washington County was built in West Bend and located in what is now known as Courthouse Square.  It was completed between 1857-1858. That jail was a story and a half structure that housed prisoners, as well as the Sheriff and his family.

In 1886 a new jail was completed in the same location as the previous jail. The 1886 jail was unique at the time due to the sheriff’s home being attached to the jailhouse and featured two floors of cells. The sheriff’s home was equipped with a hot air furnace, water, sewer and piping. This jail stayed in operation until 1962 at which time a new jail was built. That same year the Washington County Historical Society moved displays into the first floor of the jailhouse and began work on the ”Old Jailhouse Museum.”

In 1972 there were 10 full-time jail employees.

In 1979 a third jail was built at its current location of 500 North Schmidt Road in West Bend. This jail is part of a complex that currently houses the Sheriff’s Office, Washington County courts and other various county agencies. The jail, at the time construction was completed, housed 106 inmates and had 14 staff members.

In 1982 the buildings were listed on the Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places. Today the Old Jailhouse Museum is run by the Washington County Historical Society. Tours and displays of West Bends past are available.

In 2000 and 2004 remodeling and construction was completed on the existing jail. The current jail has 321 beds for adult inmates, a 26 bed juvenile facility and has 80 employees.

Washington Co Jail and Juvenile Detention provides secure detention facilities for both adults and juveniles. Jail and Juvenile rules, regulations, and visitation times will all be located in this section.

The Washington County Detention and Corrections Facility shall endeavor to provide a safe facility for the citizens of Washington County, the staff, and the inmates housed within, by establishing methods to ensure security, control, and order.

The WI Washington County Jail address is:

500 Rolfs Avenue
West Bend, WI 53090
Phone Number: (262) 335-4427
Fax Number: (262) 306-2251

The Jail visitation hours vary.

The following are links to specific areas of information in the County Jail. Some of these pages are brief overviews of the activities within the Jail, others give specific rules, regulations and inmate and family instructions.

Information provided through these pages may change without notice. Please check back for current rules, regulations, and visitation times.

If you have any questions about topics not covered here, please contact us at 262-335-4427.

Jail Booking Process

The Booking process follows many Federal, State and municipal laws.

There are two separate steps involved in the Booking process, you can find more information regarding those steps below.

Issued Items at Booking:

After you are booked, you will be issued a uniform, (1) washcloth, (2) boxers (1) boxer for employed Hubers, (2) sheets, (1) towel, (2) blankets, (1) pair of sandals, and (1) pair of socks. Soap, toothpaste, (1) toothbrush, comb, and a Styrofoam cup will be provided when you are moved out of the receiving area. One complete set of clothing must be kept in the Jail at all times. Any property left in the Jail after 30 days of your release will be disposed of.

Washington County Jail Visitor Information

Washington County Inmates are allowed visits based on schedule, times and rules below.

Visitor Rules and Regulations:

  1. All visitors must have positive identification on them and produce it upon request.
  2. Any disturbance during visiting will result in the termination of your visiting period and result in a conduct report to be written on you.
  3. Only children, under 18 years of age, of inmates will be allowed to visit their parent(s) when accompanied by parent or legal guardian (birth certificates or court papers will be required) or a responsible adult with prior approval of a Supervisor. No siblings, (brother, sister) under 18 years of age, will be allowed to visit inmates.
  4. The only magazines, newspapers, and periodicals, etc. allowed into the Jail would be those that are subscribed to and sent by mail directly to the Jail by the publisher, or those owned by Washington County Jail. Certain job related or school books can be allowed with approval of the Jail Supervisor.
  5. Co-conspirators will not be allowed to visit inmates.
  6. No food items will be permitted to be brought into the facility.
  7. All visitors may be required to be screened by a metal detector. You are encouraged to leave purses, bags, and metal objects locked in your car or in one of the provided lockers. Cell phones and pagers will also not be allowed in the facility.
  8. Visitors go up to the Jail every half hour, with the last group being 30 minutes prior to the end of the visiting period. All visitors must be signed in five minutes prior to the half-hour that they will be visiting.
  9. No mail or notes will be allowed to be passed during visits. All mail must go through the U.S. Mail service and be sent directly to the Jail.
  10. All visits will be in the non-contact visiting room.
  11. Inmates will need to fill out visiting list before visitors will be allowed to visit. The list can only be changed the first day of each month.
  12. Dress code will be posted in the Front Lobby of the Jail. Failure to adhere will be grounds to refuse visit.

COVID-19 Jail Visitation Guidelines:

  • Starting Tuesday, July 7th, Adult visiting will resume in the Jail
  • Visitors must call the day prior to schedule a visit (262) 335-4421
  • Maximum 2 visitors per inmate and ALL visitors MUST wear a mask
  • 5 inmates maximum per 30-minute time slot
  • Inmates who are housed in the quarantine area will not be permitted visits
  • Inmates will receive 1 visit per week
  • Inmates housed in Adult Pod / SMU: 
    Tuesday     – Inmates last name A-K     7:00pm to 9:00pm
    Thursday    – Inmates last name L-Z      7:00pm to 9:00pm
    Saturday     – Inmates last name A-K     1:30pm to 3:00pm
    Saturday     – Inmates last name L-Z      3:00pm to 4:30pm
  • Huber Inmates: 
    Wednesday  – All inmates      7:00pm to 9:00pm
    Sunday        – All inmates      2:00pm to 4:30pm

Professional Visitor Information

Policies and Procedures

Professional visitors approved for a contact visit at the Washington County Jail will adhere to the following procedures and regulations. Failure to do so may result in permanent or suspended visiting privileges.

  • Upon request, present proper identification at the visiting window.
  • Please log your visit in the register book provided at the entrance to the secure Jail. Utilize all areas designated for your visit (full name, address of business, time in/out, inmate you will be visiting or reason for the visit).
  • No electronic devices are allowed in the Jail.
  • All purses, briefcases, backpacks and any other items deemed by the Officers as a security risk will not be allowed into the facility. At the Officer’s discretion, any item may be searched and you may be subject to a metal detector scan.
  • Once you have signed in you will be directed to the area of the Jail where your visit will be conducted.
  • During your visit the conference room door will remain CLOSED and LOCKED. This is for Jail security.
  • When your visit is completed, press the intercom button to alert the Officer. If you need to see another inmate please notify the Officer at that time. The inmate will be brought to you at the Officer’s earliest convenience. When your visit is complete you will be directed to the exit and will be expected to sign out on the log.
  • In case of emergency during your visit, press the alert button, and the Officers will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
  • Family members of the inmate will not be considered for professional visits.
  • Professional visitors can be assigned to a non-contact visit by the Jail Staff at any time based on space availability and security issues.

We appreciate your cooperation in complying with the above rules and ensuring the security of the Washington County Jail.

Clergy Visits

Personal visits by bonafide ministers, priests, etc. within the open hours defined under Jail Hours will be permitted. Clergy must be on approved list. All visits will be no-contact visits. Prior approval must be made for contact visits. Requests for a contact visit must be made in writing prior to the day of your visit.

Clergy Policies and Procedures


To ensure that all inmates have the opportunity, on a voluntary basis, to practice their religion to the extent that is practical and reasonable.


Jail religious visitations are conducted on a regular scheduled basis by the Jail Chaplain or under the Chaplain’s direction. Should an inmate request a specific religious contact, every effort shall be made to meet that request as long as it is reasonable. Bibles and Korans will be supplied upon request or may be sent in from an outside source as long as they are soft-covered and pass through inspection.

  • All requested Clergy personnel must be cleared through the Jail Administrator and Jail Chaplain and complete a “Clergy Certification Application” prior to visiting.
  • A regular scheduled professional visiting schedule will be set by the Jail Administrator around the closed hours of the Jail operations as listed in the Jail handbook. The Jail Chaplain will conduct Jail visits on a routine schedule available to the inmate population.
  • All Clergy visits will be non-contact visits unless prior approval is granted by a Jail Supervisor. This may exclude the Jail Chaplain and organized Bible study groups that have been set up by the Jail Administration upon approval.
  • No item will be given to an inmate without the approval of a Jail Supervisor and inspection of those items by Jail staff. The normal procedure is only soft-covered printed religious materials will be acceptable.
  • All volunteers for Bible study groups will be subject to a background check and may be requested to attend an orientation meeting to clarify the rules and regulations of the facility.
  • Inmates may keep on their person or in their cells religious materials that are consistent with the Jail rules and do not create a risk to the safety and security of the Jail.
  • All requests for communion or sacraments offered by the Clergy need to be approved by a Jail Supervisor prior to the scheduled visit.

Inmate Rules: Inmate Calls, Cells, Hygiene

Inmates at the Washington County WI Jail have the opporunity to make phone calls, receive phone calls as a privilege. They are charged with the responsibility of keeping their cells clean and adequate hygiene.

Phone Calls:

You will be allowed to use the telephone at the time you are booked into the Jail if you have been cooperative. During the day, you will have access to a phone from 5:30am through 10:00pm providing you have not lost this privilege as a result of disciplinary action. Phone calls on the Jail phones will be monitored and conversations may be taped. Your attorney phone calls will not be taped but the inmate is responsible for providing the attorney’s office phone number so it can be blocked on the computer from being taped. You may use the phone in the morning as soon as your daily cleanup is completed. All calls will be made collect to the number you are calling, or phone time may be purchased from Commissary. Inmates must turn in an ICS Calling Minutes form to the accountant with the amount of money to be placed on their phone account. There is a maximum of $50.00. Any abuse of the phone, annoying phone calls, or arguments as to who is going to use the phone, will result in a conduct report on you and the loss of phone or other privileges for a period of time. There will be no incoming calls allowed and no messages will be relayed to inmates.If you were sentenced to the County Jail and not placed in Jail as a condition of your probation, you may earn up to ¼ good time.

Linen Change:

There will be a full and partial exchange for all inmates weekly. You may not send your wash out of the Jail for laundering. The full linen exchange includes: uniform, socks, towel, (2) sheets, washcloth, and T-shirt. The partial linen exchange includes: socks, towel, washcloth, and T-shirt.

Altering or destroying anything issued to you is not allowed and will be referred to the District Attorney for charges, or issued a citation, and/or disciplinary action.

For straight-time inmates, lock-up is at 10:00pm to 5:30am in cells. All inmates, non-working hubers and those who do not have Huber status will restrict their noise level when the lights and televisions are shut off.


Straight-time inmates will be allowed to shower between 5:30am — 6:30am, or 9:00pm — 10:00pm daily. Inmates are responsible for their own personal hygiene and are required to shower at least three times per week. Razors are distributed once weekly after cells are opened in the AM and according to the schedule posted in the dorm and are to be returned with the cap in place that same day. Any misuse of or damage to the razor will result in loss of this privilege. Any inmate that is deemed a risk of suicide, self-injury, or aggression will not be allowed use of a razor. A Sergeant can authorize use for exceptions; such as court, revocation hearings, etc.

Huber inmates will be allowed access to the showers during reasonable hours. The Corrections Officers will issue razors to Huber inmates based on the Huber schedules.

Inmate Accounts

Washington Co Jail gives each inmate an inmate account. This is funded either from monies provided by the inmate or from friends and relatives donating to the account.


A commissary has been established to provide inmates with a means of purchasing items not provided by the Jail. These items include playing cards, candy, beverages, snacks and personal hygiene items.

All commissary items are to be requested by using the “Phone It In” System. The request on the Phone It In System must be completed by 10:00pm on Tuesday and commissary items will be distributed on Friday by 10:00pm. You should examine your order in the presence of the issuing officer. Your signing of the commissary receipt acknowledges your acceptance of the order. Commissary may not be used for any type of gambling or bartering. Money must be deposited into your account no later than Tuesday evening. Once the deposit is made, the funds will remain in that account until you are released. All Huber inmates make sure to have enough monies in the account to cover room and board and the commissary ordered. There is a $60 purchase limit per week.

Lobby Kiosk:

All cash and credit card transactions for inmates are to be made in the Kiosk located in the Jail Front Lobby. The inmate I.D. Number or the inmate’s name and date of birth is used to identify the account that funds will be credited to. If you have any concerns about the inmates account you can speak with the Account Clerks during their scheduled hours of 9am-9pm Monday thru Friday, excluding holidays.

To put money on an inmate’s account you will need the inmate’s name and date of birth. There are fees included for using the Kiosk. If using cash there is a $2.75 fee for one transaction with $500.00 limit. If using a credit card, there is a fee of $4.95 with a limit of $100. You can enter up to two credit card transactions per week.

Inmate Mail/Magazines/Books

Washington Co Jail inmates are allowed to receive and send out mail. Magazines and books, along with the mail must meet certain criteria to be given to an inmate.

Inmate Mail


  • All outgoing mail must have the inmate’s complete name on the return address and will be handed out unsealed. Letters may be inspected. All letters must be mailed in the envelopes provided through the Jail or Jail commissary. There will be no writing or drawings on the outside of the envelopes. No mail will be allowed between inmates in the jurisdiction of the Washington County Jail. If your mail does not meet the above standards, it will not be forwarded.
  • All incoming mail may be opened and inspected. The exception is privileged mail, which includes letters to and from attorneys, the courts, government officials, Jail Inspector or Sheriff. Incoming privileged mail will be opened in the inmate’s presence to verify the sender, and checked for contraband. Postage for privileged mail will be paid by the Jail within a reasonable limit.
  • All inmates will be allowed to mail one (1) personal letter each week at the County’s expense. Any additional mail would require the inmate to purchase a stamped envelope.
  • Mail or publications, which are deemed inappropriate in a Jail setting, will not be delivered.
  • Incoming envelopes will be collected when mail is distributed, as they are not allowed in the cellblock. You will be allowed to keep letters in your cell as long as they fit into your tote or storage drawer. All other mail will be placed in your property or discarded if not deliverable.
  • There will be no notes passed between cellblocks, nor will letters or notes be accepted at the front counter. The exception to this would be legal documents at the discretion of the Jail staff.

Magazines and Books:

You may receive magazines or newspapers by subscription. You may only receive 3 periodicals per month. (Daily newspapers would be considered 1 periodical for a month.) HARD COVERED BOOKS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Soft covered (paperback) books must be sent directly from the publisher or a Bookstore via U.S. Mail or UPS only. Make sure the inmate’s name is listed on the address label. Any periodicals exploiting nudity, criminal activity, tattooing or offensive sexual contact will be placed in the inmate’s property until released from custody. The Jail’s mailing address: Washington County Jail, 500 Rolfs Avenue, West Bend, WI 53090.

Cards removed from magazines for free catalogs, information, and/or subscriptions for magazines, etc., will not be mailed unless mailed in an envelope sold through the commissary. The Jail is not responsible for any bills incurred by the inmates for any mailed or returned publications. Packages will not be accepted at the Jail unless they contain items allowed in the inmate’s property.

The staff, to assure compliance with the restrictions listed, will conduct routine inspections. Excessive amounts of magazines or books will be placed in the inmate’s property. Excessive newspapers will be discarded. Inmates must cooperate during housing area searches and inspections.

Inmate Programs and Recreation

Adult inmates, as well as juveniles are given some type of recreational activities 7 days a week. These specific activities vary from movies, TV, board or card games, etc.

Programs Offered to Inmates:

  • Bible Study groups
  • Education GED/HSED
  • AODA
  • AA
  • Mental Health Counseling
  • Parenting

Recreation and Library/Law Library:

Recreation will be offered to inmates as often as feasible. The Jail staff will determine the hours. (Schedule will be posted with hours in your pod.)

Library books and magazines will be available in each pod or dorm. These books and magazines will be rotated. You will be allowed to have 2 games in your possession. List of games approved will be posted.

Various newspapers are provided to keep you informed of current events. You are not to tear or write on these publications since others will also read them. You may subscribe to the West Bend News or Journal/Sentinel. You are responsible for making sure that the delivery person somehow identifies your paper.

A written request on an Inmate Request Form will have to be submitted to use the Law Library. You will be notified by the Jail staff when you will be allowed to go. A refusal will be considered that you were given access.

Inmate Medical Services

Inmates at the Washington County Jail are given medical attention when needed and/or requested. There is a Registered Nurse and physicians on call, when not present in the Jail.. Physician’s have regular visits and meet with inmates who make appointments or need immediate attention.

Medical Services: 

The Washington County jail is currently contracted with Advance Correctional Healthcare for Nursing staff.  Health services are accredited through the National Commission on Corrections Health Care.

  • Inmates sentenced under the Huber Law are responsible for all medical costs incurred while in custody. Non-Huber inmates are responsible for medical costs incurred at the Washington County Jail based on the Medical Care Information – Inmate Co-Payments noted on the inside cover of the handbook.
  • No inmate will be denied medical treatment because of his or her inability to pay.
  • An inmate requiring medical attention should inform the Duty Corrections Officer that you are requesting an Inmate Sick Care Request Form to be completed and returned to the Officer on duty. These forms will be forwarded to the Jail medical staff for review.
  • If you have a medical need that you feel is an emergency, notify the Duty Corrections Officer as soon as possible, so that arrangements can be made for treatment.
  • The Corrections Officer under the direction of the Jail medical staff will distribute all prescription and non-prescription medications. Any attempt to conceal medication will be reported to the medical staff and may result in discontinuation of the medication and also in disciplinary action. All non-prescription drugs provided by the Jail will only be issued on the schedule currently enforced.
  • All inmates who are expected to remain in the custody of the Washington County Jail for fourteen (14) days or longer are eligible for a Health Appraisal, including a TB test conducted by its Jail medical staff.

Mental Health: 

Services and evaluations are provided by the Washington County Mental Health Center. If you need to talk to the Mental Health doctor, you will need to fill out a Sick Call slip first and see the Nurse. The Nurse will determine if an appointment to see the Mental Health doctor is necessary.

If you need to talk to a crisis worker, please notify the Jail staff and we will contact them for you.

Inmate Mandates

Inmates have certain mandates regarding their stay in a county jail. Included in these mandates is the right for the jail to obtain a photograph and fingerprints. Along with that, the inmate has the right to give Correction Officers a written complaint or grievance.

Photo and Prints: 

State law requires that all persons who are booked into the Jail must be photographed and fingerprinted, mainly for identification. It also requires that a new set of fingerprints must be taken for each new charge. Inmates refusing to cooperate will not be released even though bond may be posted.

Inmate Complaints/Grievances:

At times during your incarceration you may have a basis for a complaint that deals with personal health and welfare or operations and services of the facility, NOT to dispute Jail rules. You are encouraged to resolve your complaint with the Corrections Officer on duty whenever possible. If this cannot be accomplished, a written complaint or grievance form should be completed and turned over to the Officer on duty to be forwarded to the Shift Sergeant for review and comment. You will receive a copy of this review. We will only accept individual complaints/grievances. Any appeal to the Sergeant’s review would go to the Lieutenant and Captan, in that order. Grievances must follow this procedure to be addressed accordingly.

Inmate Personal Services

The Washington County WI Jail issues each inmate personal hygiene items, special diets, TV time and more. All of these are given according to state and federal guidelines. Many of these are privileges which may be withheld in certain circumstances.

Issued Items at Booking:
After you are booked, you will be issued a uniform, (1) washcloth, (2) boxers (1) boxer for employed Hubers, (2) sheets, (1) towel, (2) blankets, (1) pair of sandals, and (1) pair of socks. Soap, toothpaste, (1) toothbrush, comb, and a Styrofoam cup will be provided when you are moved out of the receiving area. One complete set of clothing must be kept in the Jail at all times. Any property left in the Jail after 30 days of your release will be disposed of.

Special Diets: 
Requests for special diets will be reviewed by the medical staff and the jail chaplain. Non-compliance with diet will be just cause to cancel special diet.

Television will be turned on and newspapers handed out after cellblocks are cleaned and beds are made, meeting the approval of the Duty Corrections Officer.

Sunday through Friday, television in straight-time cell blocks and unemployed Hubers will be turned off at 10:00pm. NO EXCEPTIONS!!

Wake-up Time: 
Wake up time is 5:30am for straight-time, unemployed Huber, and Huber discipline blocks. All cell lights are on until lock down. Inmates must first make their bed and clean up their cell to meet the approval of the Duty Corrections Officer. All Inmates will help with the clean up of the dayroom. Breakfast will then be served at 7:00am.

Electronic Monitoring Procedures

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office operates an Electronic Monitoring Program as an alternative to physical confinement within the facility, providing a cost-effective, structured and monitored environment.  Our office utilizes GPS technology as a tool to assist with monitoring the movements and compliance of inmates enrolled on the Program.  GPS technology combined with home visits allows Officers to more closely monitor inmate movement while increasing the level of community safety.

The Electronic Monitoring Program was designed for offenders who pose a minimal risk to the community, yet whose behavior and offense indicate a need for close supervision.  The program can be used for offenders who have special needs or problems that may be better handled in their home environment.

1.  Electronic Monitoring Program may be used as a tool to:

  • Manage inmate population
  • Monitor and maintain closer supervision of work release inmates
  • Handle special circumstances where incarceration inside the facility is undesirable

2.  Inmates are selected for participation in the Electronic Monitoring Program based
on the following criteria:

  • Criminal history
  • Current charges
  • Institutional history
  • Ability to pay fees
  • Serious childcare/parental concerns
  • Special medical needs
  • Information provided by the inmates

3.  Each inmate will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and may, by using the
following criteria, be considered ineligible for the Electronic Monitoring Program:

  • Crime causing death or great bodily harm
  • Domestic crimes within the past 2 years
  • Convictions involving the possession or sale of drugs
  • Inmates determined to be a threat to public safety based on a pattern of offenses or
    documented behaviors involving violence or threats of violence
  • Ineligibility by court order
  • Non-support
  • Contempt of court
  • Prior removal from the Electronic Monitoring Program

All input from the above resources will be taken into consideration while determining participation in the Program, with the final approval or denial coming from the Sheriff. The Sheriff may waive or add conditions to any individual inmate’s participation in the Electronic Monitoring Program.

Juvenile Detention

Washington County Juvenile Detention shall treat all juveniles detained at the facility in a humane, firm, fair and respectful manner. Juvenile Detention will strive to create a positive program, which will encourage detained juveniles to return to the community as responsible, law-abiding members of society.

Parent Information:
By court order, your child is being detained at Washington County Juvenile Detention, which is located at 500 North Schmidt Road, West Bend, Wisconsin.  The Detention Facility can be entered off the lobby of the Jail Entrance. The lobby entrance has red doors.

Visitation for family members at Juvenile Detention is non-contact. Visitation must be pre-scheduled and is available in half-hour time periods.

Visiting is available daily from 1:30pm to 4:30pm and from 6:30pm-8:30pm. To schedule a visit call the Juvenile Pod Control at 262-306-2247. If you just show up without prearranging a visit, you will not be guaranteed an opportunity to visit your child.

Visits are limited to certain family members only. Call the Juvenile Pod Control to see if you are eligible to visit.  All visitors are required to provide proper identification before visiting such as driver’s license, State ID and siblings, if permited, will also need their birth certificate.

Each living area is equipped with a telephone for making outgoing collect calls. Juvenile Detention does not assume any responsibility if your son or daughter cannot call you because of a block on your phone. Arangements to put money on account for phone services may be made with ICS/Customer Service at 888-506-8407.

Juveniles in detention may make phone calls between 8:00am and 10:00pm. They may not make calls during programmed time or during meals.

While your child is being detained they are required to attend school at the detention facility. The West Bend School District provides a teacher and an instructional assistant.

If your child attends school, you are encouraged to bring their school work to the Detention facility. All materials will be subject to search by the detention and educational staff.

Medical Care:
Parents/legal guardians are asked to complete a medical consent form so that your child may receive medical care. Your child’s medical concerns are monitored by 2 full-time nurses. If your child is presently taking prescription medication, please supply Juvenile Detention with the medication as soon as possible. After 7 days at the facility the nurse completes a health assessment which includes a TB test.

Personal Needs:
Your child will be provided with a jail uniform, underwear items, toothbrush, toothpaste, comb soap, deodorant, shampoo, bed linen, reading and writing materials, stamps, recreational activities, meals and a snack.

Absolutely NO incoming items other than educational materials and prescription medication may be brought to the facility. 

Release arrangements are to be made with either Nicole Sakac at (262) 335-4410 or the Juvenile Pod at (262) 306-2247.

Alcohol Abuse Programs:
Weekly programs are provided.   You should inquire about the days and times from the Jail staff.

Inmates are permitted to call their attorney after their booking is completed. If contact is not made, you may try to call later. Attorneys may visit their clients from 8:00am – 10:00pm with the exception of the closed periods listed in the Professional Visitation Information section.

Booking Fee:
All sentenced prisoners will be charged a booking fee in accordance with Washington County Ordinance 5.10 Maintenance and Board for County Jail Prisoners.

Court Appearance:
The court schedules the time for the inmate’s court appearance. Corrections Officers are not aware of your appearance time until notified by the court. The Corrections Officer will make arrangements for your appearance. Notice will be given as soon as possible. You will be required to appear in court in proper attire. This includes wearing socks and sandals, shirt, and wearing your jumpsuit up and snapped. You will not make a court appearance for Municipal Court. Municipal Court will contact us on your disposition.

If you were sentenced as a condition of probation or are serving a sentence under the Municipal Court, you will receive no good time unless authorized by the Court.

If you were sentenced to the County Jail and not placed in Jail as a condition of your probation, you may earn up to ¼ good time.

Huber Law 303.08

Any person sentenced to a County Jail for a crime, non-payment of a fine or forfeiture, or contempt of court, may be granted the leaving of Jail during necessary and reasonable hours for any of the following purposes:

  • Seeking employment (through verified interviews or appointments.
  • Working at employment.
  • Conducting any self-employed occupation including housekeeping and attending the needs of the person’s family.
    • Attendance at an assessment ordered by a court under 343.30(1q)c.
    • Attendance at a treatment program required by a driver safety plan under 343.30(1)c.
    • Attending court proceedings to which the person is a party or for which the person has been subpoenaed as a witness.
    • Attendance at an educational institution or medical treatment

By order of the Court, the wages or salaries of the employed prisoners shall be disbursed by the Sheriff for the following purposes, in the order stated:

  • Necessary travel expenses to and from work.
  • Court-ordered support of the prisoner’s dependents, if any.
  • Other incidental expenses of the prisoner.
  • Payments, either in full or ratably, of the prisoner’s obligations acknowledged by him in writing or which have been reduced to judgment.
  • The Board of the prisoner.
  • The balance, if any, to the prisoner upon his discharge.

The Sheriff may refuse to permit the prisoner to exercise the prisoner’s privilege to leave the Jail not to exceed 5 days for each breach of discipline or violation of Jail regulations.

Posting Bond

Descriptions regarding Circuit Court Bonds, Municipal Bonds and posting bond at the Jail is described below. We also describe ‘out of county’ warrants and procedures for court hearings.

Photo Identification
A vaild form of photo identification is now required for posting bond at the Jail.

Circuit Court Bonds
During business hours, cash or wire transfers are the only accepted forms of payment in the Clerk of Courts office for posting bond. For your protection, wire transfers are highly recommended for payments over $5000.00. If you have questions regarding wire transfers, ask for the accounting supervisor at (262)335-4311. The Clerk of Courts is located in the 432 E. Washington St. West Bend, WI.53095

Municipal Bonds
Posting bond for Municipal Warrants can be made Monday thru Friday between 8:00am-4:30pm. Mid-Moraine Municipal Court is located at 1625 East Washington Avenue, Suite 100, West Bend. Phone number (262)334-5700.

Posting Bond at the Jail during non-business hours:
Bond may be posted in the front lobby of the jail located at 500 Rolfs Ave, West Bend, during non-business hours. Cash or credit card will be accepted for posting bond/cash bail for Washington County bonds, Municipal bonds and out of county warrants. No personal Checks are accepted.

Credit Cards:
Government Payment Service Inc. (GPS) provides the ability to use a credit card for posting bond/bail. A non-refundable transaction fee is added to all transactions. VISA, MASTER CARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS, DINERS CLUB and DISCOVER cards are accepted.

You now may pay with Credit/Debit Card on-site at the County Jail. Anyone may use this method of payment as long as they have an accepted credit card and provide proper identification such as a valid driver’s license or photo ID card.

Pay by phone by calling 24/7/365 at 877-EZBail5 (877-392-2455) and provide the appropriate Pay location Code (PLC) listed below. Contact the Jail directly to receive correct information prior to accessing EZ Bails.

  • Circuit Court = PLC 2601;
  • Municipal Court = PLC 2602
  • Child Support Warrants = PLC2604;
  • Out-of-County Warrants = PLC 2603

Out of County warrants:
Bond will be accepted for out of county warrants if the subject is in custody.

Court Hearings:
Court appearances are set by the courts for inmates held in custody. Contact the courts regarding any questions pertaining to court appearances. The jail also receives this information from the courts.

Individuals brought in on new charges and/or warrants will normally be seen by the Intake Courtroom Judge, Monday thru Friday after 3:00pm the following day. The courtroom is located in the Justice Center at 432 E Washington Street.

FAQ’s – Jail

Part 1 answers questions about bond, transfers, and good behavior are answered. Part 2 answers Jail property, phone calls and visitation. Part 3 answers Medical, Clergy, Location, Court Time and Hours questions.

Part 1. – Bonds, Good Behavior and Transfers

Q. How can I post bond for an inmate?
Circuit Court Bonds – During business hours, cash or wire transfers are the only accepted forms of payment in the clerk of courts office for posting bond. for your protection, wire transfer are highly recommended for payments over $5,000. If you have questions regarding wire transfers, ask for the accounting supervisor at (262)335-4300. The Clerk of Courts is located at 432 E. Washington St. West Bend, WI 53095.
Municipal Bonds – Municpal bond can be paid at the jail at any time. There is a $25.00 booking fee for sentenced inmates and a $25.00 warrant fee on all municipal warrants. The jail will only accept cash or credit/debit cards. No personal checks are accepted. Posting bond for Municipal Warrants can also be made Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Mid-Moraine Municipal Court is located at 432 E. Washington St., West Bend, WI 53095. Their phone number is: (262)334-5700. Bond may be posted by cash, check or money order payable to Mid-Moraine Municipal Court.
Posting bond at the Jail during non-business hours: Bond may be posted in the front lobby of the jail located at 500 N. Schmidt Road, West Bend, during non-business hours. Cash or credit card will be accepted for posting bond/cash bail for Washington County bonds, Municipal bonds and out of county warrants. No personal checks are accepted.
Credit Cards: Government Payment Service, Inc. (GPS) provides the ability to use a credit card for posting bond/bail. A non-refundable transaction fee is added to all transactions. VISA, MASTER CARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS, DINERS CLUB and DISCOVER cards are accepted. Anyone may use this method of payment as lon as they have an accepted credit card and provide proper identification, such as a valid driver’s license or photo ID card. Credit card transaction must be done in person.
Q. Can a county inmate be released early on good behavior?
A. If the inmate was sentenced as a condition of prob ation or is serving a sentence under the Municipal Court, they will receive no good time unless authorized by the Court.
If the person was sentenced to the County Jail and not placed in Jail as a condition of their probation, they may earn up to 1/4 good time.
Q. When someone is picked up on a body warrant in another county
but the body warrant is for Washington County, how long does it
take to transfer that person to the Washington County Jail?
A. Each transfer is handled on a case-by-case basis and for safety reasons. If someone is in custody in another facility for a Washington County warrant only, transportation will be arranged in a timely manner. However, if the person has a Washington County warrant and charges in the other county or municipality, then transfer will be made once the person has satisfied the other municipality’s hold and is made available to our department. Transfer dates and times are not released to the public, including family members for security reasons.

Part 2. – Bonds, Good Behavior and Transfers

Q. What can I bring an inmate?
A. Money can be put on an inmate’s account using the KIOSK in the front lobby of the jail. Enter the inmate’s name and date of birth. If you are paying with a credit card there is a limit of $100 and a fee of $4.95 per transaction. You may not enter more than $200 per week using a credit card. If you are paying with cash there is a $2.75 fee for one transaction and there is no limit on how much cash can be placed on the account.
Q. What about books and magazines?
A. You may receive magazines or newspapers by subscription. You may only receive 3 periodicals per month. (Daily newspapers would be considered 1 periodical for a month.) HARD COVERED BOOKS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Soft covered (paperback) books may be obtained directly from the publisher or a Bookstore via U.S. Mail only. Any periodicals exploiting nudity, criminal activity, tattooing or offensive sexual contact will be placed in the inmate’s property until released from custody.
Q. Can I pick up property from an inmate?
A. Yes. the inmate must fill out a Property Release form with the receiver’s name and an itemized list of what is to be released. An inmate must leave a full set of clothing in his property at all times until it is deterined the inmate is leaving for prison and the clothing can be released.
Q. Can inmates make and receive phone calls?
A. Inmates must turn in an ICS Calling Minutes form to the accountant with the amount of money to be placed on their phone account. There is a maximum of $50.00. .
Q. How can I find out if someone is in jail?
A. You can call the Jail at (262)335-4427 to inquire if someone is in Jail. this is also when you can inquire about bail and posting bond.

Part 3. Medical, Clergy, Location, Court Time, Hours

Q. Do Inmates receive Medical Attention?
A. Yes. We have onsite medical services. There are co-payments for medical fees. Fees will bek dkucted from the inmate’s individual commissary funds at the time medical services are requested and provided. If an inmate has any type of medical insurance available, it is the inmate’s responsibility to make the Jail Nurse aware of the insurance and all respective insurance policy numbers.
Mental Health services and evaluations are provided by the Washington County Mental Health Center. If you need to speak with a crisis worker, please notify the Jail staff and we will contact them for you. Medical care will not be refused to any inmate based on his/her ability to pay. Inmates under the Huber Law are responsible for all medical costs incurred while in custody.
Q. Can my Clergy visit me in Jail?
A. Yes. Personal visits by bona fide ministers, priests, etc. within the open hours defined under Jail Hours will be permitted. Clergy must be on approved list. All visits will be no-contact visits. Prior approval must bemade for contact visits. Requests for a contact visit must be made in writing prior to the day of your visit. The Jail Chaplain provides religious counseling and guidance on Monday and Thursday afternoons. If you need to pseak to the Chaplain, please make a request on the Inmate Request Form. Additional Bible studies are currently available.
Q. Where should I report?
A. Washington Co Jail, 500 N Schmidt Rd, West Bend, WI 53095 Located behind the Court House enter through the RED DOORS.
Failure to report on the court ordered date will result in a warrant for your arrest. You may jeopardize your Huber privileges as a result.
Do not report under the influence of alcohol or drugs!!! You will be tested prior to being allowed to work. If you test positive you will be subject of disciplinary action and you may be held in from work, lose good time and/or your Huber could be revoked.
Q. What time is court?
A. The Jail does not receive a time from the courts when an inmate with new charges or on a warrant will have to appear. As soon as we receive a call from our clerks the inmate is taken to court. The Washington County courts are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Inmates being held in the Jail on a cash bond will most likely have a scheduled court date. This information can be found on line at: for all circuit court cases.
Q. What are the Jail hours?
A. Jail hours are defined as 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. The Jail will be closed during the following hours:
11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.

The Booking Process

Q. What’s involved in the booking process?
When reporting to the jail please have your ID and paperwork ready-
* Failure to have an ID with will slow down the booking process (especially for individuals that have not been booked before as a positive identification is necessary to complete a booking record)
* Have a copy of the criminal complaint from the case being booked with if possible. (booking may be slowed down due to having to retrieve a complaint from the courts)
* Copies of fines are necessary for closure of a booking if the resultant disposition from the court is a “fine only”
Leave all non-essential items in their vehicle including jewelry –
* Jewelry, belts, certain shoes will set off the metal detector and may have to be removed in order to pass through the area in which the metal detector is located.
* Pictures will need to be taken and jewelry is not allowed (piercings need to be removed for the photo)
* Electronic devices are NOT allowed into the jail (cell phones, tablets, etc.)
* Only the person being booked is allowed back into the booking room (relatives, children etc. are NOT allowed to accompany the person being booked into the Jail)
Expect to sometimes wait over an hour or more –
* Jail operations and new bookings will take priority.
* The Jail is a County located juvenile facility and as such, Juvenile matters will take priority over Court bookings and will potentially slow down the booking process.
* If there were individuals heard in court preceding your case, they may be booked in front of you as well.
* Bookings are completed on an arrival basis, your place in line will not be held if you leave and come back later.
* The booking process, depending upon the volume of individuals needing to be processed, may take from 15 minutes to 45 minutes depending on what needs to be completed. (DNA, Prebook, Book and Release etc.) Plan on having to spend a substantial amount of time waiting.
Personal information is gathered –
* Name, D.O.B., social security number and employment history are needed.
* Employers information will include: Work Address and phone number; (Supervisors name and phone number; rate of pay and paydates- for pre-book (Jail Sentences only))
* Emergency contact information including address and phone number of the person that is being identified as the contact. They will NOT be contacted unless there is a need while the individual is in custody.
Q. What is involved in taking DNA?
* Refrain from eating and/or drinking prior to having the DNA taken.
* Have your ID and paperwork ready.
* DNA is taken by Buccal Swab only. (It does not include a blood draw)
The Jail will complete a records check to see if there is already a DNA sample on file with the state, in the event of a DNA sample being on file already, no new sample will be taken.
* In the event of DNA having been taken at the time of arrest, a new DNA sample will be taken upon conviction.
* DNA will be taken on ANY Misdemeanor Conviction with an Offense date after 4/1/2015, this may include traffice Offenses that are being charged as Misdemeanors.
* DNA will be taken on ALL Felony cases with a Conviction date after 4/1/2015.
Q. What is the difference between a regular booking and a pre-booking?
A person booked on their charges prior to their court appearance may still have to be booked at the Washington County Jail depending on where they were originally processed.

* Bookings completed at the municipal level and released from there, do not meet the Courts’ requirements for records puposes and a new booking will have to be completed at the Jail upon initial appearance in court on a person’s new charges.
* Dependent upon the original reason, a person that was booked into the Jail on the date of their arrest (Probation hold for example), that person may have to be booked on their new charges after their intiial court appearance.
* During the Pre-book process, a complete update of the individual’s record will take place, along with gathering information about their employment. Failure to bring in information regarding employment MAY result in an individual being delayed in release for said employment.
* Individuals seeking child care and/or family care release from Jail will have additional requirements set forth by the Jail and may not be release until all documentation, requested by the Jail, is produced. All childcare/family care is subject to approval by a supervisor prior to exercising Huber release.
* Self-Employed Huber individuals are required to provide proof of income tax paid on their business prior to being allowed to exercise their right of HUber for their business. Copies of contracts and liability insurance may be required as well.
* Individuals required to report Forthwith from court may be required to sit in the Jail for up to 48 hours or longer depending on the Jail’s ability to confirm employment status with their employer.

Electronic Monitoring

* Electronic Monitoring within the confines of the Washington County Jail is subject to a case by case evaluation, persons convicted of their 3rd and subsequent OWI may have a mandatory waiting period within the Jail prior to their being allowed out on electronic monitoring, certain charges will greatly reduce the chance of being considered for electronic monitoring, including, but not limited to, drug offenses and violent offenses.
* Electronic Monitoring within another county is subject to approval by Washington county, if an offense does not meet the requirements for Electronic Monitoring within Washington County, it will NOT be allowed for another county.
* While the Judge can state he/she has no objections to Electronic Monitoring, the Sheriff has the final approval and can deny an individual being placed on Electronic Monitoring.

Huber Transfers

The Washington County Jail and the Sheriff of Washington County have the final say in whether a person is allowed a transfer to another facility. The Judge in your case may only state an objection or non-objection to the serving of a Jail sentence at another Facility.
* As a general rule, a person will not be considered for a transfer to another facility if they are not employed within the County where they wish to transfer to.
* There is a fee charged at the current rate set forth by the Jail to attempt a transfer to another facility, this fee is charged regardless of acceptance by the other facility.
* The facility receiving the transfer request has no obligation to accept a person as a transfer to their facility, nor do they have to state a reason for denial of the transfer.

Current Fee’s charged by the Washington County Jail

Individuals required by the Courts to spend time incarcerated within the Washington County Jail will be required to pay Huber Board as set by the Washington County Jail.

The current rates are:

* Non-Working Huber fees: $5.00/Day
* Student only (High School or College): $5.00/Day
* Working Huber: $20.00/Day
* Electronic Monitoring: $26.00/Day
* Booking Fee: $30.00
* Transfer Request Fee: $50.00

The Washington County Jail screens ALL reporting Huber inmates (including those coming forthwith from court) for Drug and/or Alcohol use. Determination of use for illicit drugs, non-prescribed drugs, and/or alcohol will result in loss of Huber privileges for an indeterminate amount of time to be decided by Jail Staff.

Washington County Sheriff’s Office, WI 

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office (WCSO) is located at 500 Rolfs Ave, West Bend, WI 53095, United States. WCSO is committed to fostering relationships that foster trust, proactively lower crime and recidivism, decrease victimization, and improve quality of life while upholding constitutional rights. 

With Sheriff Martin R. Schulteis as the new sheriff, the office has to treat everyone under its control fairly and sensitively. The desire to improve people’s quality of life, carry out in-depth investigations, look for answers, and promote safety among the community’s residents motivates the office’s hard work. By upholding the highest standards of performance and ethics, we will foster public trust. 

The WCSO: 

  • Ensure that residents uphold local, state, and federal laws. 
  • Investigate crimes.   
  • Keep the peace during civil procedures. 
  • Ensure the judicial system and courthouses are secure. 
  • Assist Washington County residents with different non-criminal problems, including transporting inmates to and from the court. 
  • Maintain the Washington County jail and the county juvenile detention facility. 
  • Provide access to 911 dispatch services for fire, rescue, and police assistance. 
  • Support the public by using the electronic record system. 
  • Conduct the Multi-Jurisdictional Drug Unit’s operations 
  • Supervises the Washington County SWAT and Dive Team. 
  • Provides DARE and other educational and public relations programs. 

The WCSO also offers license and permit services, for instance, Dear Hunting Riffles permits, fingerprinting, and criminal background check services. 

DNA Collection  

Please contact the Washington County Jail at 262-335-4428 to set up an appointment if you have received a letter from the Wisconsin Department of Justice (DOJ) asking you to go to the closest county DNA collection location to provide a DNA sample. Office hours are Monday through Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. 

Civil Process 

WCSO serves legal documents presented to the Sheriff’s Office inside the county per Wisconsin State Statute 59.27(4). The Sheriff’s Office accepts papers for service Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except on holidays. 

You may make advance arrangements for shipping documents by calling our civil process clerk at 262-335-4382. Temporary restraining orders and injunctions are the only types of civil paperwork that may be accepted and processed outside regular office hours. 

WCSO also deals with evictions, executions, and foreclosure sales processes. 

WCSO Contact Info: 

Information About Services by the Sheriff’s Office

Corrections Officer

Position Summary:

Under the general direction of the Corrections Administrator, Lieutenant, and Shift Sergeant, performs work involving the care and custody of inmates in County detention facilities, and other duties as required.


The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all‑inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.

  • Supervises and cares for inmates in County detention facilities within established policies and procedures.
  • Maintains discipline and enforces the rules and regulations pertaining to the facility, and may employ force to quell disturbances and maintain discipline.
  • Receives and books inmates; and assigns and escorts inmates to cells, dormitories, or similar areas.
  • Issues uniforms, bedding and other supplies, and assists in the operation of the food service facilities.
  • Inspects and searches inmates and their quarters for cleanliness, contraband, and order.
  • Assigns, supervises and inspects the work of trustees engaged in maintaining the cleanliness of the facilities or assigned in laundry and kitchen areas.
  • Performs evacuation procedures, including search and rescue functions, wearing a self-contained breathing apparatus as required.
  • Performs general housekeeping and maintenance duties in the facility as needed, and inspects areas for damage.
  • Completes violation reports of Jail rules along with documentation of inmate activities on computer.
  • Provides a positive rehabilitative influence to inmates within guidelines established by the Department.
  • Observes inmate behavior and documents any information relevant to the inmate’s confinement in the computer jackets.
  • Prepares and presents written and oral reports and records as required.
  • May administer basic first-aid and CPR, as needed.


The Washington County Sheriff’s Civil Process office is benefiting citizens, the legal community and police departments across the county.
The Sheriff’s Civil Process office serves more than 25,000 legal documents annually, mostly to parties in civil lawsuits. The legal community can rely on the qualified and experienced staff at the division. A variety of services are available including attachment, execution and seizure of vehicles.
The legal community and citizens can utilize the Civil Process Division to serve summons, warrants and a variety of legal documents. Among these are…

  • Landlord-tenant disputes
  • Divorce proceedings and child support warrants
  • Real estate attachments and seizures
  • Sheriff sales of personal property
  • Subpoena of witnesses

The primary function of the Civil Process Unit is the “service of process”, which is defined as “the writ or mandate that serves as the means used for bringing a defendant to court to answer in an action or proceeding, civil or criminal.”  It is the responsibility of the sheriff’s office to serve or execute according to law, all processes, writs, precepts, and orders issued or make by lawful authority according to Wisconsin State Statute 59.27.

Papers for service will be accepted at the Sheriff’s Office main lobby window:  Weekdays from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

The Sheriff can only serve papers on individuals or entities located within Washington County.

Time Requirements

  • Eviction:  The paper must be served not less than five (5) days prior to the court date.
  • Execution:  On a notice of mortgage foreclosure – Sale shall be advertised posting at least three (3) weeks prior to the date of sale.  On a notice of sale of property – Notice of sale shall be posted at least twenty (20) days before the date of sale.
  • Garnishment:  Notice of such service or a copy of the garnishee summons and complaint, together with the complaint in the principle action, shall be served on the principal defendant, no later than ten (10) business days after service on the garnishee defendant.
  • Large Claims Action:  The paper must be served within ninety (90) days of filing and must be over $5000.00.
  • Replevin:  As a small claims action the paper must be served eight (8) business days before the court date.  The return date for the summons served must be no less than eight (8) business days from the issue date and no more than thirty (30) days from the issue date.  As a large claims action the paper must be served within ninety (90) days of filing.
  • Restraining Orders:  Unless otherwise specified, they can be served right up to the time of hearing.  Usually served asap.
  • Small Claims Action:  A small claims action must be served at least eight (8) business days before the date the party must appear.  The date of appearance shall be no less than eight (8) business days from the issue date and no more than thirty (30) days from the issue date.
  • Writ of Restitution:  No writ shall be executed if received by the Sheriff more than thirty (30) days after it is issued by the court.

What Does A County Sheriff Do?

The office of Sheriff is created by the Wisconsin Constitution (Art. 6, Sec. 4). The specific duties of the Sheriff are also set forth by statute (Sec. 59.26 – 59.33, Wis. Stats.). The Sheriff is an elected office in each county and beginning in November 2002, the Sheriff’s term of office changed to a four (4) year term.

There are over 3,000 counties in the United States, and almost every one of them has a sheriff, except for Alaska. The office of sheriff is established either by the state constitution or by an act of state legislature. There are only two states in which the sheriff is not elected by the voters. In Rhode Island, sheriffs are appointed by the governor; in Hawaii, deputy sheriffs serve in the Department of Public Safety’s Sheriff’s Division.

There is really no such thing as a “typical” sheriff. Some sheriffs still have time to drop by the town coffee shop to chat with the citizens each day, while others report to an office in a skyscraper and manage a department whose budget exceeds that of many corporations. However, most sheriffs have certain roles and responsibilities in common.

Law Enforcement –  A sheriff always has the power to make arrests within his or her own county. Some states extend this authority to adjacent counties or to the entire state. Many sheriffs’ offices also perform routine patrol functions such as traffic control, accident investigations, and transportation of prisoners. Larger departments may perform criminal investigations, and some unusually large sheriffs’ offices command an air patrol, a mounted patrol, or a marine patrol.
Sheriffs still enlist the aid of the citizens. The National Neighborhood Watch Program, sponsored by the National Sheriffs’ Association, allows citizens and law enforcement officials to cooperate in keeping communities safe.

As the sheriff’s law enforcement duties become more extensive and complex, new career opportunities exist for people with specialized skills: underwater diving, piloting, boating, skiing, radar technology, communications, computer technology, accounting, emergency medicine, and foreign languages.

Court Duties –  Sheriffs are responsible for maintaining the safety and security of the court. A sheriff or deputy may be required to attend all court sessions; to act as bailiff; to take charge of juries whenever they are outside the courtroom; to serve court papers; to extradite prisoners; to collect taxes, or to perform other court-related functions.

Jail Administration –  Most sheriffs’ offices maintain and operate county jails or other detention centers and community corrections facilities such as work-release and halfway houses. Sheriffs are responsible for supervising inmates, protecting their rights and providing food, clothing, exercise, recreation and medical services. As jail conditions continue to improve, sheriffs and their departments are earning increased respect and recognition as professionals.

Law enforcement is becoming increasingly complex. For the progressive, forward-looking sheriffs’ offices of today, education and training are the keys to effective job performance. Today’s sheriff is likely to have a college degree, a graduate degree in criminal justice, law or public administration, and several years’ experience in the criminal justice system.

President Ronald Reagan stressed the importance of the modern sheriff in his address to the National Sheriffs’ Association on June 21, 1984. He said, “Thank you for standing up for this nation’s dream of personal freedom under the rule of law. Thank you for standing against those who would transform that dream into a nightmare of wrongdoing and lawlessness. And thank you for your service to your communities, to your country, and to the cause of law and justice.”Article from:

Information and recommendations are compiled from sources believed to be reliable. The Sheriff’s Office  makes no guarantee as to and assumes no responsibility for the correctness, sufficiency or completeness of such information or recommendations. Other or additional safety measures may be required under particular circumstances.


At the center of communications for the county are the dispatchers staffing the Sheriff’s Office 911 Dispatch Center. These dedicated communication professionals get you the help you need when you need it.

“Washington Co Sheriff 911, What Is Your Emergency?”


In 2017, the 911 Dispatch Center handled 102,837 phone calls. Over 21,731 of those calls, were 911 emergency calls via land and wireless phone lines.

The Sheriff’s Office Communications Center is the largest dispatch center in the county. Staffed by 2 Sergeants and 14 Communications Officers.


Nearly every city now has a 9-1-1 emergency phone system.  This means you can dial 9-1-1 for any fire, police or medical emergency.

Here are some tips to remember when calling 9-1-1

  • Remain calm
  • You must tell the 9-1-1 operator the following:
  • Your name
  • Location
  • Phone number
  • Nature of the emergency
  • Listen to the 9-1-1 operator:
  • Answer questions and follow instructions you are given
  • Hang up only when you’re told to do so, unless staying on the phone puts you in danger


If you do not have an emergency, dial the regular phone number for the police, sheriff or fire department.  Keep these numbers posted by your phone.  You can find your Washington County local non-emergency number on our website at:

Law Enforcement

  • Sheriff’s Office
  • Big Cedar Lake Boat Patrol
  • Jackson Police Department
  • Kewaskum Police Department
  • Newburg Police Department
  • Kohlsville First Responders


  • Allenton Fire Department
  • Boltonville Fire Department
  • Fillmore Fire Department
  • Jackson Fire Department
  • Kewaskum Fire Department
  • Slinger Police Department
  • Kohlsville Fire Department
  • Town of Trenton Police Department
  • Newburg Fire Department
  • Richfield Fire Department
  • St. Lawrence Fire Department


  • Allenton EMS
  • Boltonville First Responders
  • Fillmore First Responders
  • Jackson EMS
  • Kewaskum EMS
  • Kohlsville Fire Department
  • Newburg Fire Department
  • Lifestar EMS
  • Newburg EMS
  • St. Lawrence First Responders
The Washington County Sheriff’s Office participates in the Wisconsin Telecommunicator Emergency Response Taskforce, a network of trained dispatchers from public safety agencies throughout southeastern Wisconsin. In a large-scale incident such as a natural or man-made disaster, these volunteer dispatchers will respond to the incident to help provide communications and dispatch assistance to responding law enforcement, rescue and fire personnel.

Washington County – Local Law Enforcement

Each municipality is serviced by local law enforcement, however, if they do not have a police department of their own, they are serviced by the County Sheriff’s Office.

Who/Where is My Law Enforcement Agency?

Listing of Cities, Villages and Township Contacts

Municipality Who Serves Non-Emergency Numbers
A.M. / P.M.
City of Hartford Hartford Police Dept. 673-8273 673-8201
City of West Bend West Bend Police Dept. 335-5000 335-5100
Town of Addison Sheriff’s Department 335-4378 / 335-4411 335-4378
Town of Barton Sheriff’s Department 335-4378 / 335-4411 334-2765
Town of Erin Sheriff’s Department 335-4378 / 335-4411 673-3682
Town of Farmington Sheriff’s Department 335-4378 / 335-4411 692-2377
Town of Germantown Sheriff’s Department 335-4378 / 335-4411 677-8217
Town of Hartford Sheriff’s Department 335-4378 / 335-4411 673-7214
Town of Jackson Sheriff’s Department 335-4378 / 335-4411 677-4048
Town of Kewaskum Sheriff’s Department 335-4378 / 335-4411 626-2566
Town of Polk Sheriff’s Department 335-4378 / 335-4411 677-2123
Town of Trenton Trenton PD / Sheriff 689-0661 / 335-4411 675-6009
Town of Wayne Sheriff’s Department 335-4378 / 335-4411 626-4818
Town of West Bend Sheriff’s Department 335-4378 / 335-4411 338-3417
Village of Germantown Germantown Police Dept. 253-7780 250-4740
Village of Jackson Jackson Police Dept. 677-4949 677-9001
Village of Kewaskum Kewaskum Police Dept. 626-2323 626-8484
Village of Newburg Newburg PD/Sheriff 675-2160 / 335-4411 675-2160
Village of Richfield Sheriff’s Department 335-4411 335-4378
Village of Slinger Slinger Police Dept. 644-6441 644-5265

Some offices are not open 24/7 in some municipalities. If you have a non-emergency call, please leave a message on that municipality’s voice mail. If you need to contact someone and your municipality’s office is closed, you may call the County Sheriff’s Office at the A.M. / P.M. numbers listed in the table above.

Court Services

Whether you are at a county office in our Government Center or attending court in the secure Justice Center, providing you with a safe environment in which to do business is the responsibility of the Court Services Division

Justice Center

In the Washington County Justice and Government Centers, maintaining a safe and efficient working environment for court staff, county employees, deputies and visitors is the responsibility of the Court Services Division. A Sergeant, three Deputies and two Special Deputies are responsible for courtroom security, prisoner movement, security requests and general building security, while two Special Deputies man the screening station at the secure entrance to the Justice Center.


Each day, deputies provide courtroom security for the circuit court judges and court commissioners. On average, Court Services deputies transport over 3,004 inmates from the county jail to the Justice Center each year. In 2017, deputies responded to 3,491 security requests made by court staff or county employees working in the Justice Center.


51,691 people entered the Justice Center through the secure screening station. Each person and their belongings are checked and scanned. As a result, over 1,592 contraband items were seized or prevented from entering the facility. Contraband items include pocket and utility knives, scissors, tools and other items that could potentially be used as a weapon.


The Washington County Most Wanted Program continued with deputies assigned to the Justice Center researching and submitting subjects to be profiled by local media outlets. Of the 44 subjects profiled in 2017, 29 of the subjects were located after their profile was published in the paper and shown on cable TV.


The Sheriff has a responsibility to transport individuals to and from court as a part of his constitutional duty to attend to the courts. In 2018 the Washington County Sheriff’s Office contracted with Lock and Load LLC to conduct the majority of prisoner transports. The Sheriff’s Office remained responsible for medical transports from the jail, and certain mental health transports.

Drug Unit

You won’t always see or hear what’s going on when it comes to the Drug Unit. They need to keep a low profile in order to investigate and apprehend drug offenders in the county.

Covering the County – Undercover

The Washington County Multi-Jurisdictional Drug Enforcement Group (Drug Unit) operates as a task force and represents the primary local effort in Washington County to curb illegal drug sales, cultivation, and distribution. Unlike other police efforts in Washington County, the Drug Unit’s main goal is to target drug distribution and production. The Drug Unit has secondary roles such as gathering, processing, and disseminating drug intelligence, coordinating drug enforcement with other agencies, and has a role in educating the community about current drug threats.

The Drug Unit has a full time staff consisting of one supervisor, two detectives, four patrol officers assigned as investigators, several undercover officers, one part-time patrol officer investigator, and one program assistant. The Drug Unit works out of the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, which provides most of the staff and the supervisor. All full-time police departments in Washington County provide patrol officers or other resources for the task force.

As a result of Drug Unit activity in 2015, 176 charges were requested and 21 ordinance citations written against 84 individual offenders. 64% of the criminal charges were felonies, many for delivery of a controlled substance to an undercover officer. The Drug Unit seized 33 firearms during drug investigations, related to charges for felon in possession. Two search warrants were executed on residences resulting in drug charges.

Find more information and treatment for drugs by following these links:

  • Cocaine
  • Heroin
  • Marijuana
  • Pharmaceutical Drugs
  • Synthetic Drugs
  • Drug Info & Treatment Organizations
    • The Partnership – Drug Free
    • Live Above the Influence
    • Heroin Addiction – Abuse – Detox
    • Heroin Addiction Resources
    • The Fly Effect
    • Elevate Community Resource Center
    • National Institute of Drug Abuse

Washington County Sheriff – FAQ’s

Discover current road conditions, when to call 9-1-1, rules and regulations regarding information on persons other than yourself or a relative.

F.A.Q. – Calls & Information from the Sheriff’s Office

Q. When can I call or stop in at the Sheriff’s Office?
A. Our office is staffed and available 24/7, 365 days a year. We are never closed.
Q. How do I find out about current road conditions or construction?
A. The best source of information on current weather and road conditions may be your local television and news radio stations. During a storm, our dispatchers are often very busy with emergency calls and they will not be able to assist you with travel planning. For construction reports, travel information and road conditions, please go to:
Q. When should I call 911 ?
A. Dialing 911 should only be done when a police, fire or medical emergency exists. An emergency means that someone’s life could be endangered if someone doesn’t respond right away or significant property damage might occur.  When you dial 911, your call goes directly to a dispatcher who will send an officer, ambulance or fire department to your location.
Q. What should I say when I call 911?
A. First, take a breath to calm yourself and try to remain calm. You will be excited, but if you speak too fast or don’t speak clearly, it can make it difficult for the dispatcher to get you the help you need. Be prepared to give your name, location, nature of the emergency and a call back number. Answer any questions even if they seem strange to you. The dispatcher is getting the information they need to send you help. Follow the dispatcher’s instructions and stay on the line until the dispatcher tells you it’s OK to hang up.
Q. Can I call 911 if it’s not an emergency?
A. No.  If it is not a true emergency, do not call 911. You should dial the Sheriff’s Department general phone number 335-4378. Your call will be forwarded to the appropriate person who can assist you. Calling 911 for a non-emergency matter ties up an emergency phone line and may send you resources that could be needed elsewhere. You can be issued a citation for Misuse of 911 if you knowingly call 911 with a non-emergency matter.
Q. Can I get driver’s license or vehicle registration information
on a person?
A. No. We are bound to follow strict rules about releasing information from our computer systems to private citizens. We cannot give you Department of Motor Vehicle information such as license plate numbers, addresses or driving records. To find out how to obtain that information for a fee, please contact a DMV service center at (800) 924-3570
Q. Can you give me a criminal history report on a person?
A. No. By state law, we cannot give private citizens a criminal history report on a person. You can obtain a criminal history report for a fee by contacting the Wisconsin Crime Information Bureau at 608-266-9398 or online at
Q. If I call the Sheriff’s Office or the County Jail, will you tell me
if someone is wanted on a warrant?
A. No, we will not release that information over the phone.
Q. How can I find out if someone was arrested and is in your jail?
A. You may contact the Washington County Jail at 262-335-4427.
Q. Why was a green card left at my housefrom a Deputy?
A. Deputies stop at a residence for many different reasons. They may have an investigation they need to speak to you about, they may be passing on important information or they may have civil process to serve. Deputies leave a green message card when they have been unable to make contact with someone. Please read the card and return a call to the Deputy listed on the card. The Deputy may be able to give you the information over the phone or will arrange to meet with you.
Q. I have a wild animal on my property. Who should I call?
A. The Sheriff’s Office does not live trap or remove wild animals. If you have a wild animal that is in a building or on your property, there are private wildlife control and rehabilitation organizations that can be contacted. Check your local directories for pest or animal control specialists. You would be responsible for any fees associated with removing the animal.
If you suspect an animal is rabid or diseased, and you feel it may threaten human beings if left undisturbed, you may contact the Sheriff’s Office. We will send a deputy and the animal will likely be destroyed.  The Wisconsin Humane Society offers suggestions for dealing with wild animals. Go to: and follow the links to Wildlife.
Q. Who is responsible for picking up dead deer along the highway?
A. The state DNR contracts with a person or company to pick up dead carcasses from county highways. Although they will pick up other animal carcasses, the county Highway Shop does not pick up deer carcasses. Deputies and Highway Shop workers call in the location of the carcasses to our dispatch center who then notify the contract person on a daily basis. These deer will often be marked with orange paint. Depending on the season, the contract person has 24-72 hours to remove it from the highway.
Q. What is the difference between a Sheriff’s Office and a
police department? 
A.The main difference is in the jurisdiction or area covered by the agency. A Sheriff’s Deputy has jurisdiction and arrest authority in every town, village and city in the county. A police department has jurisdiction only within the boundaries of their specific town, village or city.  Both agencies handle the same kind of police duties, such as responding to calls and investigating crime. In addition to police duties, the Sheriff’s Office also maintains the county jail, handles prisoner transports and serves legal papers throughout the county. The Sheriff holds a constitutionally protected office and is an elected public official while a chief of police is appointed by their local government. Deputies traditionally wear a brown uniform, while police officers traditionally wear blue.
Q. How do I find out the status of my case ?
A. The best option is to speak directly with the Deputy or Detective that has been assigned to investigate your case. Because of off days and other pending cases, they may not be immediately available to take your call. Please leave a message. If you do not get a timely response, contact the Sheriff’s Office and ask to speak to an on-duty supervisor or the Detective Lieutenant. They will either get you the information you need or refer you to the person that can.
Q. How can I thank a Sheriff’s employee for the good service
they gave me?
A. We are very appreciative and encouraged when we receive good news about one of our employees. You may call the Sheriff’s Office and ask to speak to the Sheriff or an on-duty supervisor or you may send us a note or letter addressed to the Sheriff expressing your thanks.  We will share this information with the Deputy involved.
Q. How do I file a complaint about a Deputy?
A. Contact the Sheriff’s Office and ask to speak to the on-duty supervisor. The supervisor will listen to your complaint and determine how your complaint could best be addressed. We prefer to have the Deputy’s direct supervisor handle a complaint because he may be most familiar with the Deputy and the situation. The supervisor may ask you to provide a written statement depending on the nature of the complaint. He will then investigate the complaint and make a recommendation for resolving the complaint and to address any issues you may have had with the Deputy involved. Each case is considered on its own merit. Please keep in mind that it is a crime in Wisconsin to knowingly file a false complaint against a Deputy or police officer.
Q. I received a call about donating money to the Sheriff’s Office.
Are you soliciting for donations?
A. No. The Sheriff’s Office does not call citizens asking for donations. Other private organizations, such as the Washington County Deputy Sheriff’s Association and the Wisconsin Sheriff’s and Deputy Sheriff’s Association do use telemarketers to solicit donations.  You may still donate to and support these organizations if you wish, but they do not represent the Sheriff’s Office and none of the donated money collected by these organizations goes directly to the Sheriff’s Office. If you wish to donate to the Sheriff’s Office direct, please contact the Sheriff at 262-335-4389.
Q. How do I get a copy of a police report? 
A.Information for this is located on our Open Records Page.
Q. How do I get a copy of my driving record?
A. Information for this is located on our Open Records Page.
Q. How do I get a Restraining Order?
A. Information for this topic is on the state website for Victims Rights.
Q. Where do I pay my fine?
A. Payments for Circuit Court Fines may be made with a MasterCard or an electronic check on-line. Click here to “Pay Fees Online”.
Then follow the directions to pay with a credit card or electronic check. The Clerk of Courts will accept payment by cash, in person only, at the Clerk of Courts office. You can also pay by credit card, check or money order in person or by mail. Make checks and money orders payable to:
Washington County Clerk of Courts
432 E Washington St, Rm 3151
PO Box 1986
West Bend, WI 53095
Q. How do I change my court date?
A. This will depend on if the matter is a criminal or civil action.  Civil forfeiture citations will list a court date on the citation. The date on your citation is your opportunity to have a pretrial conference to attempt resolution of the case with the District Attorney’s Office.  If you reach an agreement, a Stipulation and Order will be filed with the court.  If you do not reach an agreement, a form will be filed with the court indicating that an agreement has not been reached and the case will be set for a court trial at a later date.
It is not mandatory that you appear in court; however, the court date cannot be changed.  If you are unable to attend the scheduled court date and you wish to have a pretrial conference or a court trial, a not guilty plea must be entered in writing on or before 4:30 P.M. on the court date set forth on your citation with the Washington County Clerk of Court’s Office.  You will receive a notice of a pretrial conference or court trial date in the mail approximately two weeks following your initial court date.  Failure to make a plea in writing or to appear in court by the scheduled court date may result in a finding of guilt and the imposition of a forfeiture amount.
For any criminal action you will be notified by the Washington County District Attorney’s Office of a court date and any changes to those court dates will need to be made through that office. The Washington County District Attorney’s Office can be reached at 262-335-4311.
Q. How do I get my car out of impound?
A. In most cases vehicles are towed to individual towing companies and you will be responsible for making arrangements with the towing company for the associated towing and storage cost prior to the vehicle being released.
There are times when a vehicle is towed to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office as evidence. Those vehicles can only be released by our evidence technician, Detective Jim Wolf. He can be reached by contacting our office at 262-355-4378.
Q. Can I get the supplemental reports with the accident report?
A. Oftentimes the supplemental reports are not prepared as quickly as the actual accident report and are simply not available. There also can be statutory or court-created exceptions which restrict immediate release. If you are specifically looking for the case report you can make a formal open records request and the open records custodian will make a fact-specific analysis prior to release.
Q. How do I find out what is going on or who is assigned a case?
A. The Washington County Sheriff’s Office assigns incident numbers to all of the cases we investigate.  It is helpful to have that identifying number to cross reference, although it is not mandatory.  The number is typically the year followed by a dash and a sequential number (For example: 2010-12345). If you were the complainant or victim in the case, you also were likely provided with a victim information sheet which would list the case number, as well as the investigating deputy’s name.  If you do not have that information we can look up case numbers by date, location or persons involved. We can then relay your concerns to the investigating deputy and have him/her contact you.  Feel free to contact our office at 262-335-4378 for more information

F.A.Q. – Traffic Questions and Answers

Landlord questions, identity theft, scams, child custody or visitation issues are all addressed here. Sometimes this means contacting another agency who handles your particular issue.

Q. What should I do if I am pulled over by a Deputy?
A. Deputies may pull a vehicle over for many reasons. You may have committed a traffic offense, there may be an equipment problem with your vehicle or perhaps your vehicle matches the description of a vehicle they are looking for. Regardless, if the Deputy indicates that he wants you to pull your vehicle over, that is exactly what you should do. Don’t stop suddenly. Carefully move your vehicle to the right side of the road and slowly come to a complete stop. Once stopped, put your vehicle in park. Leave your hands on the steering wheel where the Deputy can see them. Don’t make sudden moves that would make the Deputy suspicious. Don’t reach for wallets, purses, packages or glove compartments until the Deputy tells you it’s alright to do so. Remain seated in your vehicle unless the Deputy instructs you to step outside. Follow any instructions the Deputy gives you. It may be hard, but stay calm and try to be polite. Ask the Deputy to explain why you were pulled over and converse in a normal tone. Being confrontational or arguing will seldom result in a positive experience for you or the Deputy. Finally, never pull away from a traffic stop until the Deputy has safely returned to his squad.
Q. I received a traffic citation from a Deputy. What should I do next?
A. If you received a citation, the Deputy will hand you a pamphlet that explains what you should do if you want to pay a citation or contest it in court. You must take some action before the court date listed on the citation, or you risk that the court may find you guilty by default and order that you pay the fine. A Deputy cannot give you legal advice on what to do with a citation, so you may need to contact an attorney for additional information.
For more information on your options, please go to the Washington County Clerk of Courts website.
Q. I have a question about my citation. Who should I contact?
A. Always check the citation before calling and follow the instructions in the citation pamphlet you received. The citation will indicate if it was issued by a Deputy from the Sheriff’s Office and will list information regarding the offense and the court date. If you have a question about the citation itself or the offense involved, you can first contact the Sheriff’s Office. Ask to speak to the Deputy that issued you the citation or ask to speak to a supervisor. If you have a question about the court date or how to pay a fine, you may contact the Washington County Clerk of Courts at 262-335-4341. If you believe that a Deputy did not treat you in a professional manner, contact the Sheriff’s Department and ask to speak to a supervisor.
Q. Do you have ticket quotas?
A. No. Ticket quotas are illegal in Wisconsin. We expect that each Deputy commit time to traffic enforcement as it is an important part of their job, but there is no set number that each Deputy must meet. The same holds true for written warnings and Equipment Violation Notices, both of which are issued by deputies on a daily basis.
Q. I received a written warning for a traffic offense. Does that go on my driving record?
A. Written warnings do not go on your driving record. A written warning does not affect anything on your driver’s license and does not get reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles. We do maintain an in-house record of the warning, so if you were to be stopped again for the same offense a Deputy can check on that.
Q. I received an Equipment Violation Notice. What do I do next?
A. An Equipment Violation Notice is a form ordering you to correct a specific problem or set of problems. It can be for an equipment problem on your vehicle, a registration issue or even your driver’s license status.  This form is commonly called a 5-Day or 15-Day notice based on the amount of time a Deputy gives you to correct the problem(s). First you need to correct the problems listed. Then take the form to any police or Sheriff’s Department in your area. Have an officer there check to see that the problem has been taken care of.  Have the officer sign the back of the form. Place a stamp on the form and then mail the form back to the Washington County Sheriff’s Department. If you do not return the form to us signed by an officer, you will likely receive a warning letter followed by a citation. Only the citation would be eventually reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles and become part of your driving record.
Q. I need extra time to fix the problem listed on the Equipment Violation Notice. What can I do?
A. Call the Sheriff’s Office and ask to speak to the Deputy that issued you the notice. The Deputy may grant you an extension to correct the problem. You may also ask for the Court Officer for assistance.
Q. Where can I find information on Wisconsin’s child restraint and
booster seat laws?
A. The Wisconsin DOT has a current fact sheet explaining the child safety restraint laws:
Q. My car broke down along the highway. Can I leave it parked there?
A. Maybe. It depends on whether or not your vehicle poses a hazard to other motorists. It must be parked off of the paved portion of the highway, facing the correct direction and allow adequate room for other vehicles to see it and pass it safely.  If your vehicle is disabled and you cannot remove it immediately, contact the Sheriff’s Offfice and a Deputy will check to see if it can remain on the highway. If a Deputy comes across your vehicle and it’s a hazard, your vehicle may be towed immediately.
Q. I found an orange sticker on my disabled vehicle. Why?
A. Deputies will place an orange sticker on a vehicle when it is disabled or otherwise left along a highway. The sticker alerts the owner or driver of the vehicle that they have a certain time period during which they must remove the vehicle, usually 24 hours. If the vehicle is not moved within that time period, it may be towed as a hazard or for safekeeping. The sticker also alerts other deputies that the vehicle has already been checked.
Q. My car was towed and I think I was overcharged. What can I do?
A. The Sheriff’s Department does not contract with any one wrecker service. If a vehicle needs to be towed and the motorist has a preferred wrecker, we try to accommodate that preference. If there is no preference, we call a wrecker service from the local area. The Sheriff’s Department has no control over what wrecker services charge. If you feel you were overcharged, you need to file a complaint with the wrecker service, your insurance carrier or the group the service represents such as AAA.

Evictions & Executions

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office will normally serve writs of restitution/assistance for evictions within 10 business days to allow the defendant the opportunity to move out on his/her own.  Prior to the execution of the writ, the plaintiff or plaintiff’s agent will be required to provide the Sheriff’s Office with a deposit representing the probable costs of removing the person(s) in possession of the property, their personal possessions and the services of the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.  This is in compliance with State Statute 799.45(1). The deposit for the move will depend on the property involved and will be determined by the Sheriff’s Office.  If the cost of the move and the Sheriff’s Office assistance exceed the amount of the deposit, the Sheriff’s Office will provide the plaintiff with an invoice for the amount due in excess of the deposit along with an itemization of the cost which must be paid within 30 days.  If any portion of the deposit remains after final cancelations, a refund will be issued to the plaintiff.  The plaintiff/landlord/manager cannot make any “deals” including extensions to the defendant(s) after the Sheriff’s Office receives the eviction papers.

By state law the Sheriff must use a bonded mover to serve the writ, and the availability of such movers can dictate when the defendant(s) are officially ordered out of the premises.  The Deputy doing the eviction will schedule the moving company and the defendant(s) are ordered out prior to that date.  If it is not confirmed by the Sheriff’s Office, or plaintiff, that the defendant(s) have moved out by the specified time, a Deputy will be at the property at a time to be determined by the Deputy, prior to the date of the move, to determine if the movers are actually needed.  The plaintiff/owner/manager must be present to provide a key for entry or a locksmith, at the plaintiff’s expense, or force will be used to enter the building.

If the defendant(s) are still present, the bonded movers are called in at the plaintiff’s expense.  If the defendant(s) have moved, the movers are cancelled but still assess a $150 cancellation fee if they receive less than 24 hours notice.  Cancelations in excess of 24 hours will still be assessed a $55 cancelation fee by the moving company and then taken out of the deposit.

Plaintiffs also have the ability to handle the move on their own if the plaintiff notifies the Sheriff and the plaintiff accepts the responsibilities for the removal, storage and disposal of the property.  In that case, the Sheriff’s responsibilities are as follows:

  • The Sheriff’s Office shall supervise the removal and handling of the property.
  • The Sheriff’s Office may prevent the plaintiff from removing or disposing of the property if the plaintiff fails to do any of the following:
    • Give notice to the Sheriff of the desire to perform removal, storage and disposal of the property;
    • Give notice to the Sheriff of the storage location;
    • Exercise ordinary care in the removal of defendant(s) property;
    • Obtain bond or insurance policy and have it filed with the Clerk of Courts Office to cover the defendant and indemnify the Sheriff for any damages to the property;
    • Impose a charge greater than that for the removal and storage as determined by the Sheriff.

    Landlord and Tenant Internet Resources:

  • Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection Landlord/Tenant Guide
  • WI Bar Assc. Lawyer Search Resource Center
  • WI Bar Assc. Landlord/Tenant Law: Answering Your Legal Questions Bar Assc. WI Law Booklet Sourcebook Legal Action of WI Landlord / Tenant Statute Chapter 704 Administrative Code “Residential Rental Practices” 799 procedure in small claims actions Circuit Court Records Online Record Check System (WORCS)
  • The WI Way: A Guide for Landlord and Tenants – Is a guide book published by Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection available for download from several resources or by contacting the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.

Open Records

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office promotes effective citizen oversight by fostering a policy of open government. We strive to accomplish this by releasing records and giving access whenever legally possible.

Where Do I Get Information?

Most open records requests directed to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office will receive a reply within ten working days. The Washington County Sheriff’s Office is not the record custodian for all law enforcement agencies within the county; specific requests should be directed to the individual agencies. Open records requests may be made in person at the Sheriff’s Office between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday, excluding Holidays, or by calling our office at 262-335-4378 or by mailing requests to:

Washington County Sheriff’s Office
Attention: Records
PO Box 1986
West Bend, WI 53095

Typical requests include: accident reports, incident reports, contact records and photos. The fee schedule is:

Accident Reports
$ .25 per page
Incident Reports
$ .25 per page
Legal Documents
$1.00 per page
Reproduced Photos
$1.50 per photo
Digital Media
$5.00 per CD/DVD
Color Digital Photos
$2.00 per page

The Wisconsin public records law authorizes requesters to inspect or obtain copies of records maintained by government authorities. Records are presumed to be open to the public for inspection with some specific exceptions. A request may be denied, in whole or in part, for specific and sufficient reasons. The requirements of the public record law also exist at the time the request is made and does not require authorities to provide information if no responsive record exists. Generally the law also does not require authorities to create new records in order to fulfill requests.

Pursuant to Wis. Stat. 19.35(3) (c), a fee for locating a record not exceeding the actual, necessary and direct cost of location, may be imposed upon the requester if the cost is $50 or more.

Pursuant to Wis. Stat 19.35(3) (f), a pre-payment may be required for reproduction costs if the total is $5.00 or more.

In compliance with the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals decision in Senne v. Vill of Palatine, 695 F.3d 597 (7th Cir. 2012 en ban, cer. pet. filed 11/5/2012), the Washington County Sheriff’s Office is no longer releasing personal identifying information under the provisions of the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act (DPPA).  Personal identifying information derived from the Department of Motor Vehicles, including an individual’s date of birth, driver’s license number, social security number, home address, home telephone number, photograph, and medical or disability information is prohibited from public disclosure unless one of the exceptions apply.  These exceptions can found at 18 U.S.C. §2721(b). The above restrictions do not apply to Wisconsin accident reports released in compliance with applicable Wisconsin law.

Records and Checks

The Department of Transportation information may not be given out to the public. Also, Criminal History Background Checks are not available through the Sheriff’s Office.

WI DOT Information

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office is not authorized to release Wisconsin Department of Transportation records. For driver license records and/or vehicle records, a Vehicle/Driver Information Request form (MV2896) needs to be completed and mailed to the address below:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 7995
Madison, WI 53707-7995

More information may be found by calling Wisconsin DOT at 608-266-02353 or by visiting the web site at:

WI Criminal History Background Checks

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office is not authorized by law to release state criminal history records. For criminal history records please submit a Criminal History Request form and mail to:

Crime Information Bureau
Records Check Unit
PO Box 2688
Madison WI 53701-2688


The Washington County Sheriff’s Office provides the following service(s) to Washington County government: The Sheriff’s Office strives to provide and environment of stability and security in the community; to enforce Federal, State and County Laws; to perform functions designated to the Office by the Constitution, State Statutes, and County Ordinance.

The Sheriff’s Office is located at 500 Schmidt Rd in the City of West Bend, WI. Regular office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for holidays.

This Office is a local public office within the meaning of Wis. Stats. Sec. 19.34(1). The legal custodian of the Sheriff’s Office’s records is Lt. Martin R. Schulteis. Information about records and access to records is available from the legal custodian and/or designee at the front counter of the Sheriff’s Office

Certain Sheriff’s Office records may be exempt from disclosure under the Wisconsin Public Records Law because they are protected under common law, confidentiality requirements, court decisions, lawyer-client privilege or local, state or federal regulations, rules, or laws.

Public records will be made available for inspection at the Sheriff’s Office during regular office hours. No original record may be removed.

Copies of public records may be obtained upon request at a cost of $.25 per page (or as provided by other ordinance or state statute) for regular photocopies made by Sheriff’s Office staff, or for the actual, necessary, and direct cost of reproduction in all other cases. A location fee may be charged if the cost of locating a requested record exceeds $50.00. Advance payment may be required if charges exceed $5.00.

Nationwide Inmate Records Online Check

Jail records, court & arrest records, mugshots and even judicial reports

Washington County Sheriffs Department

500 Schmidt Road, West Bend, Wisconsin, 53095

County Jails in Washington County, WI

Name Address Phone Fax Website Email
Washington County Juvenile Detention 500 North Schmidt Road, West Bend, WI, 53095 262-306-2247 262-306-2251 Website
Washington County Secure Detention Facility 500 North Schmidt Road, West Bend, WI, 53095 262-335-4428 262-306-2251 Website

Police Departments in Washington County, WI

Name Address Phone Fax Website Email
Germantown Police Department N112W16877 Mequon Road, Germantown, Wisconsin, 53022 262-253-7780 262-253-7787
Hartford Police Department 109 North Main Street, Hartford, Wisconsin, 53027 262-673-2600 262-673-8302
Jackson Police Department N168W20733 Main Street, Jackson, Wisconsin, 53037 262-677-4949 262-677-8570
Kewaskum Police Department 204 1st Street, Kewaskum, Wisconsin, 53040 262-626-2323
Newburg Police Department 614 North Main Street, West Bend, Wisconsin, 53090 262-675-2160 262-675-2287
Slinger Police Department 300 Slinger Road, Slinger, Wisconsin, 53086 262-644-6441 262-644-2032
Town of Trenton Police Department 1071 Highway 33, West Bend, Wisconsin, 53095 262-689-0661 262-675-6052
Trenton Police Department 1071 Wisconsin 33, West Bend, Wisconsin, 53095 262-675-6009
West Bend Police Department 1115 South Main Street, West Bend, Wisconsin, 53095 262-335-5000 262-335-5028

Washington County, WI Incarceration Statistics

Jails 50
Inmate Population 50
Daily Inmate Population 337
Female Inmate Population 9
Male Inmate Population 55
Jail Rate 460

Washington County, WI Jail Inmate Population, Jail Pretrial Population and Confined Population, for 2010-2015 years

Total Inmate Population575554535150
Pretrial Population1,0841,1051,1461,1431,1521,174
Confined Population575554535150

Washington County, WI Female Population, Rate & Count for 2010-2015 years


Washington County, WI Male Population, Rate & Count for 2010-2015 years


Washington County, WI Incarceration Rates by Race, for 2010-2015 years